Friday, 16 December 2011

The best gift



As we head rapidly into Christmas time, I guess it is a time when we start reflecting on the gifts we find within our lives.  Our oldest seems to be going through some sort of growth spurt that involves testing boundaries.  I’ve really been struggling to figure out exactly what he needs (including knowing the boundaries are real and there to stay).  After a particularly challenging day yesterday, DH took the kids for a walk in the paddock while I cooked dinner (which I managed to botch amazingly).  As they came home, I was given a wee bunch of flowers, clover, dandelions and wild daisies … with a little boy’s hug saying “You’ve been a bit sad Mama, these are for you.” No other bouquets, whether it was gift wrapped with orchids, tulips and roses, NOTHING can compare to that bouquet gift.  It’s currently sitting in pride of place on my window sill and I’m already getting sad about the thought of them wilting.  It’s so amazing to feel the unconditional gift of love that kids somehow bring with them – no matter how much we feel we fail.



Other gifts have been popping up in my life as well, especially the gift of friends and the amazing gift of time that they share so willingly with me.  I’m a bit of a talker – it helps me process and gets me moving.  I used do that with my writing, but that’s taken a bit of a backseat …  Back to the point – the unconditional giving of someone’s time to listen, to share with, to experience and learn with – it’s another gift that I am in awe of.

But as we head to Christmas – I do want to say that this year has been one where the gift of the CHRIST of CHRISTmas has been the biggest blessing of all.  Relearning and being taught that His mercies are new every morning and that it isn’t by our might or power, but only by His Spirit that we given the grace to stand.   Being taught that it isn’t in what I do or don’t do, not in the rules I keep or break, not in the being moral or immoral BUT that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

God the Father freely sent His own Son as a wee baby to this earth, so that 33 years later, He would lay His life down so that we might not be condemned but He in our place.  Mind boggling – yes … unbelievable – in our own strength yes BUT through faith granted to us the most amazing Christmas present ever.  I pray that if you aren’t aware of who this Christmas present is – that this Christmas He will be revealed to you.  Feel free to ask questions if you wish – I don’t have all the answers, but I will try and share what has been given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message ...