Once, when I was a teenager, and even in my very early twenties, thirty sounded afar off. It sounded (gasp) old. As I now look towards a decade of thirties – it doesn’t seen that old after all.
I was with my kids, reporting in for the summer reading programmer here. One of the senior kids librarians was around and I started to chat with her. She’s known me since I was knee high – one of the joys of living in a small town. When the summer reading programme started at our library I must have been about eleven or twelve, and I was reporting in to her. I mentioned I was turning thirty next week – and she smiled saying she’d turned sixty a couple of weeks earlier. I couldn’t believe it!! She did not fit what my mental picture of sixty was.
Anyways – the point of that little ramble – somewhere in our head we have a mental picture of what each age is … and as I approach thirty with a tiny bit of trepidation but much excitement, I am aware that my mental picture of what I would be like and where I would be at during this life stage has changed, and it in a constant state of fluidity.
In my years I have been blessed – family, friends, health. My DH is an amazing rock who mirrors to me the one true ROCK. My kids remind me of my weaknesses, but also show me that I can be strong. My friends are there on the other end of a telephone, willing to listen, give advice and just share and care.
So … what are my dreams for this year … I don’t quite have a bucket list – but sometime in this year or in the decade to come, maybe I’ll get around to some of these things … or, I’ll come to realise that these things weren’t that important after all – and other things quite purposefully took over
Thirty Years – A list of dreams ….
- Learn more and trust more
- Through the WORD be set free from all past hurts
- Get to know people better – family, friends – and meet and love and learn to appreciate those around us
- Sky-dive (I’m still a tinsy scared to do this, but I’m giving myself another 10 years to get it done)
- Get a full nights sleep, as in 10pm to 6am without loo stops, without waking babies, without dreams. Who knows? Perhaps a tad ambitious.
- Grow veges and fruit. Lots of it. So I can bottle and freeze and eat luscious tomatoe sauce in the middle of winter and golden juicy peaches in August.
- Knit something in 4ply (this will probably take ten years to complete).
- Challenge myself in my sewing and knitting – to learn new skills.
- Be the best wife, mother and friend I can be
- Write a book even if it’s a wee tinsy tiny kids one.
- Keep blogging
Wonderful goals Anneke! Have just been catching up on your blog :)
ReplyDelete