Saturday, 11 February 2012

Sunday Thoughts

Matthew 28

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

 Ok, so this verse has been running about in my head for the last 24hrs, which I'm going to take as the Holy Spirit leading me to it.  I've been involved in some discussions about faith and assurance and fear - and it's gotten me thinking ... what does our LORD Himself say about coming to Him and being with Him ...

First he says COME - this is an action word, along with TAKE and LEARN.  There is no reason given here for us not to fully embrace the Savior with both hands.  If I tell my kids to take a jelly bean - they are not going to look at me twice and ask me if I'm serious, do you really mean I can have a jelly bean?  They are going to trust I really want them to have a jelly bean and if they can get away with it, and I haven't specified just one, they're going to grab a whole handful.   God is so full of amazing grace and love that we can take from Him.  Jesus Christ died on the cross, meaning all His righteousness became ours for the taking ... AMAZING GRACE!!!   

The next word that struck me is the word ALL YOU.   Not you who have read your Bible this morning, not you who have been sitting in the pew for at least X number of years, not you who pray or you who fast.  No, all you who are weary and heavy laden.  We often put so many conditions on ourselves that just wear us plain out.  I can't be a true Christian because I don't feel my sin enough.  Christ mustn't be in my heart properly because I haven't read my bible in the last day/week/month.  No, that isn't for me, I don't know Jesus well enough.  My friend - stop looking at the law and keeping rules to make you holy enough for Christ.  He died on the cross fulfilling the entire law for you.  Be encouraged and thankful if you feel you are failing because then you can embrace and appreciate His AMAZING GRACE all the more.

The word REST appears also.  What does rest mean to you?  Does it mean running about trying to get things done, or is it a quiet, peaceful space where you can be calm in your body and soul?  For me, rest in Jesus is knowing His supply of grace is abundant (Romans 5:17b they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. ) and when I am given grace to live in that supply and know of that free gift I am enabled to reign in life.  Habits, issues, giants, depressions, people and fears no longer have a strangle hold on me.  I am free through JESUS CHRIST - AMEN!!!

FOR MY YOKE IS EASY AND MY BURDEN IS LIGHT -   Christ didn't promise that no troubles would ever come our way but he did promise that his yoke is easy and the burden is light.  He didn't design His wondrous salvation for us to be bowed down under worries about assurance or worries about whether we are holy enough or good enough.  He didn't design the law to pull us under in a blanket of shame at how much we fall short of His glory.  He GAVE His only begotten Son, perfect man, understanding us completely and yet perfectly God to die on the cross so that all His righteousness became ours.  In our own frailty we may not feel the courage or assurance to say yes Christ is mine - but let us not rest on our own frailty but instead claim the promise in Matthew 18:10 that Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

You may be little or feel yourself lacking in any or much faith, but remember and know there are people that are praying for you as a little one! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Anneke, very beautiful, please keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message ...