Thursday, 18 August 2011

You must be busy


I read an interesting article last night

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2011/08/09/love-for-the-big-and-the-small/

and it made me think … sometimes we’re altogether too worried about the perfect size of our family that we forget about the actual wonder and beauty of the family members themselves. We have four preschoolers (no twins) and when I’m out and about with all of them I do get many comments, some negative, some positive, and some just downright rude. And tongue in cheek – we’re not bunnies, we do believe in family planning and yes, we don’t have a TV.

Anyway, I digress. Family and the wonder of it despite its size. I was nursing our youngest this afternoon and looked over to the couch, and the other three must have had their be-good nappies on as they were sitting tight against each other while they read stories to one another … and you know what; it made my heart sing. Sometimes I get hung up on our family size, about whether I’m short changing them, short changing my husband and our time, short changing … well the list could go on. Then I have to remind myself – God in his wonderful amazing grace has blessed us with four souls to nurture and bring up for Him. This is a blessing. It was a blessing nearly five years ago after two heartbreaking miscarriages to see another two blue lines, and it was as much a blessing twelve months ago to see it for a sixth time. And I hope, if it is in God’s plan – and we are physically, mentally and financially able, that I will see it again. But for now – my focus is to be on the family I have around me – how to be the best Mama I can be. It is a hard job, whether you have one, four or ten. And we need to remember to pray for one another – pray for our husbands and fathers, pray for our friends – and pray for our kids.

And for my friends and readers who are struggling with the heartbreak and hurt of “isn’t it time you guys started having kids yet”; “when’s no. 2 coming?”; miscarriages, any other infertility issues or perhaps you are single and waiting for Mr. Right … my prayers and thoughts go out to you also … please be gentle on yourselves – and remember you are a family and in a family – with or without children, or even if your wee ones have left before being held in your arms. Hugs my friend … from me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message ...