Friday, 18 May 2012

Change of scene ...


I wanted to go onto the internet and do some googling for skirt patterns.  I have just completed a very rough skirt for Missy – I wanted to do one of those tiered skirts, where they are a bit fuller each tier, but I ended up pleating the tiers because I couldn’t figure out how to machine gather.  I think I’m going to attempt another one (once I get some more scrap material) but hand gather it.  People way back when didn’t have fancy machines to do things, so I’m sure there must be a way to do it by hand.  Unfortunately for me, Google can’t help because we’re nearly over our internet limit for the month – so I’m sitting here in Word typing about it … and will copy and paste tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

I have really enjoyed my sewing in the last couple of weeks.  I have completed (bar some ribbon and buttons) a winter jacket with lining for Missy.  I’m not sure at 2.5yrs she appreciates sewing, actually, she’s more paranoid about pins sticking into her (thank-you big brother for telling her that) BUT I am really enjoying it.  The jacket was made using a vintage size 2 pattern I picked up at an op-shop, along with the piece of woolen material.  I lined it with an old cotton floral sheet.  I will get pictures up once I’m done.  So far the only ‘new’ bits on it are the ribbon on the cuff/collar/pockets and I’m trying to source some buttons.  I can’t believe the price of them in the shop … on the lookout for button collections at op-shops now.

I have some black cord material, along with an emerald skirt and a maroon skirt that I will be chopping up for Missy as well.  The maroon skirt will be transformed into a pinafore with pink plaid lining.  The black cord I may attempt a pair of pants for the littlest boy – or a different style pinafore.  I love the pattern I used of her denim one – but I should branch out a little.  I think some appliqué on it will look quite funky.  I also have a huge bright pink dressing gown in some type of velour that will be chopped down for a ‘new’ dressing gown for Missy and hopefully a tunic dress.  I need to practise my arm and sleeve sewing, so that will be a good option. 

Actually, speaking for cutting down and sewing up, I could go and start chopping the dressing gown now (I’m typing as I’m waiting for the DH to get off the phone) … nothing like taking advantage of the moment … pictures to come when I get a chance.  Although not of the tier skirt … that was just a play about.

Saturday morning ....

I didn't get around to doing the dressing gown ... off to pattern hunt now!!

1 comment:

  1. for a machine gather stitch two lines at stitch length 4 about 5mm apart leaving 5cm cotton at each end. Gently pull at one of the pieces of cotton and ease the fabric into a gather. Hope that makes some sense - my Mum taught me years ago but I rarely use it because I only have a boy!

    I find vintage patterns are the best! I have a shorts pattern I use from the 60s and it's the best fit for a skinny boy

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message ...