Thursday, 3 May 2012

Reading again


Life at times appears from our perspective to be hard, difficult, an up-hill battle with a down-wind.  Then – something you read puts things into position again.  I have just finished reading ‘Call the Midwife’ by Jennifer Worth This is the recounting of true stories (a memoir)  by an 1950s midwife working in East End London, in the slum/dock areas.  When I read of stories of huge (by today's standards) families in only 3 rooms, it makes my want of an extra bedroom seem pitiful.   

Stories recounted of workhouses and child labor – it makes me thankful that we have a government in New Zealand that helps families in need with a welfare system.  We have working for families, unemployment benefits, domestic purposes benefits – some might argue too many benefits – BUT, whilst I realize some may fall through the cracks, we don’t have to stand in front of large iron gates, knowing the family will be literally ripped apart and given hard labor just so they have a roof over their heads and a meager meal in their stomach.  I know time has marched on, that was in the late 1800s and early 1900s but it still gave me a fresh perspective on what difficult is.


 


The book itself I found very easy to read, compelling – I read it in one sitting, something I haven’t allowed myself the luxury of much lately (I did have a wee sick one snoozing on me, so that was an extra excuse to stay snuggled up in my easy chair).  I haven’t seen the TV series based on the book by BBC, but I imagine, given BBC, it would be pretty reasonable and accurate.

So, in amongst a week of disappointments about not getting another job we applied for, feverish and puking children, teary hormones and limited sleep – it was a wake up call that I needed.  We may not have a job yet – but we have a roof over our heads and food in the cupboard.  Feverish and puking children are on the mend – and we are blessed to have easy access to doctors, pamol and antibiotics.  The hormones – well I think the’re going to keep  going up and down till this little one makes his or her appearance in three months time, and as for the sleep – it may be limited but I’m fast realizing, one can function on less sleep than you think you need and God’s grace is abundant for all the needs we have, even just the next five minutes of an afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Anneke. I hope things pick up for you at your place really soon. As you know we had our own ups and downs moving to Australia and there were many "Eleventh hour" moments. Take care x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message ...